Friday, March 9, 2012

I'm No Better Than a Smoker

I am not a fan of smoking. Period. I don't care for the smell and the smoke makes me gag and have trouble breathing.  Not that I've ever tried it, I've just been around it from time to time and that was enough for me to know I never want to be a smoker. I have no desire to even try it.

This post is not meant to be a 'pick on the smoker' blog.  I am just stating where I stand on smoking. 

Now that I have, I will explain why I am no better than a smoker.

While I am not a fan of smoking, I am a HUGE fan of sweets.  Yes, the wonderful, yet accursed sweets!  They are so good to my taste buds, but so bad for my waistline, and my health.  I have always known that smoking can cause cancer.  Some can smoke for years and never have a single health problem and others can smoke for a year and get cancer within 6 months. 

However, both eating sweets and smoking have a common root.  Addiction.

Galatians 5:17-24 NLT
17 The old sinful nature loves to do evil, which is just opposite from what the Holy Spirit wants. And the Spirit gives us desires that are opposite from what the sinful nature desires. These two forces are constantly fighting each other, and your choices are never free from this conflict. 18 But when you are directed by the Holy Spirit, you are no longer subject to the law. 19 When you follow the desires of your sinful nature, your lives will produce these evil results: sexual immorality, impure thoughts, eagerness for lustful pleasure, 20 idolatry, participation in demonic activities, hostility, quarreling, jealousy, outbursts of anger, selfish ambition, divisions, the feeling that everyone is wrong except those in your own little group, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild parties, and other kinds of sin. Let me tell you again, as I have before, that anyone living that sort of life will not inherit the Kingdom of God. 22 But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, he will produce this kind of fruit in us: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control. Here there is no conflict with the law. 24 Those who belong to Christ Jesus have nailed the passions and desires of their sinful nature to his cross and crucified them there.

If I am lacking in self-control, then I am subject to being addicted to the sweets that I love to eat.  And when it takes a nicotine patch or other treatments to try to quit smoking, then it is an addiction.  But they are both a danger to our bodies.  I know in my mind that eating sweets is unhealthy and I have been able to control my appetite for them, however, much like a smoker who does not sever ties with cigarettes completely, I am prone to falling back into eating even more sweets than before I tried limiting or cutting them out completely.  It's a struggle that I am not proud of, but I am woman enough to admit I have an eating problem; a candy-loving, cake-drooling, junk-food-loving addict.

But like many people with addictions, who know they have a problem, I want to do something about it.  Our church family just recently finished a 40 day fast.  I would like to continue that fast, but with the intent to rid myself of the impurities in certain foods that I indulge in far too often.  Now my reason for stating this publicly is not to have a 'holier than thou' type attitude. I am merely wanting people that I know and love to help me stick to my word.  There is nothing wrong with having an accountability partner or partners.  During this time of fasting I do hope to regain a closer walk with God and learn what it is to discipline my taste buds.  I remember hearing on K-LOVE the other day about this very subject.  God gave me taste buds so that leads me to believe He wants me to enjoy food, but He does not want my taste buds controlling my appetite.  I can enjoy food and yes even enjoy a few sweets from time to time, but when I cannot control the amount of food I am taking in, then I am allowing my taste buds to have full reign and control of my eating habits.  This is where the addiction takes over.

I am still completely against smoking, not that I am judging anyone who does smoke.  How can I judge them when I am struggling with something that is damaging to my own body?  When I was younger I didn't have a grasp on this concept, that people who smoke love God too!  Smoking is a strong-hold, just like eating too much, which is considered gluttony, and Christians have struggles too.  But it is between them and God.  Perhaps they have not felt convicted about smoking, and who are we to judge when we have so many things God is convicting our hearts about on a daily basis.  I have confessed one of my many struggles and intend to do something about it.

This scripture is very short, but very powerful, and I think is a good close to this post.

1 Corinthians 6:20 NET
For you were bought at a price. Therefore glorify God with your body. (emphasis added)

1 comment:

  1. I've never been one for sweets {or smoking, for that matter!} but I *do* have a soda problem. I tend to eat pretty healthy, for the most part --salads, veggies, meat, fruit. But I drink Coca-Cola on a daily basis! It's terrible! And it doesn't matter how many times I tell myself "no Coke for you today", I always end up getting stressed out over it, and drink one.

    Amazing blog post!! <3

    ReplyDelete